Work Permit

DOWNLOAD Work Permit Application

What is a Work Permit?

A Work permit is a verification of your age, birthdate, enrollment, and attendance in school that you are required by CA Labor Laws to provide to your employer. CA State Law requires that a minor be enrolled and attending full-time school before a Work Permit can be issued. If the minor drops out or otherwise does no attend school, the Work Permit automatically becomes null and void. If the employer continues to work the youth, the employer is in violation of State Law.

Who needs a Work Permit?

All minors under the age of 18 who are employed. (Exceptions: Occasional babysitting, yardwork, domestic work).

What is the purpose of the Work Permit?

It verifies your age for the employer and enables the employer to comply with State and Federal Labor Laws. Some of these are summarized on the reverse side. As you can see, different age groups are permitted to work different hours.

How do I get a Work Permit?

  1. At the School Office you can pick up the Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor.
  2. Complete your portion with your name, age, birthdate, Social Security number, etc.
  3. Have your employer complete the section about the job: Wages, hours, Worker's Compensation Insurance, etc.
  4. Have your parents sign the application.
  5. Return the application to the School Office and they will issue a Work Permit.

Student Responsibilities

All students applying for a Work Permit must meet the following requirements:

  1. Maintain attendance at 90% or higher
  2. Maintain a passing status in all classes
  3. Maintain an appropriate discipline record at school and work
  4. Understand that student's grades and attendance will be monitored throughout the year. If the student does not meet the above requirements, his/her work permit will be revoked
  5. Any student denied a work permit due to grade, attendance, and or discipline concerns must wait until next grading period to re-apply
  6. Agree that school is the priority over work

What do I do with the Work Permit?

Take it to your employer. The employer is required to have a Work Permit on file for ALL MINORS employed. The employer is required by law to return your Work Permit to your school upon termination of employment. Work Permits must be reissued at the start of each school year.

Do I need a new work Permit if I get another job?

Yes. During the school year a new Work Permit must be secured for each and every employer. The same procedure is followed in each case to get a Work Permit. If you hold two jobs, you need two Work Permits.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.